Summer Tomato Basil Pie
by Kristina Wolter
Makes 2 pies
You will need:
– 1 recipe of Whole Note Pie Crust (bottom rolled and lined in pie plate, strips rolled and ready for lattice)
– 2 lbs (10 med) fresh tomatoes sliced ¼ inch thick
– 1/2 cup fresh basil (roughly torn).
– 4 eggs beaten
– 2 cups heavy cream
– 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
– Salt & pepper to taste
– 2 cups grated cheese (Parmesan works well)
Preheat oven to 350º.
1. In a bowl, combine the beaten egg, heavy cream, dried herbs, and the salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Lay sliced tomatoes into the bottom of each crust-lined pie shell. Sprinkle basil over the tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle the cheese over the basil.
4. Divide egg mixture between both pies just covering the tomatoes and cheese.
5. Bake 45-55 minutes in oven until filling is set and golden brown.
6. Cool on wire rack before serving.